January 15, 2011

Back to the salt mines!

Lately, I've had the hardest time motivating myself to do my chores. Dishes, laundry, scrub the unmentionable parts of our house. I really don't know what it is. Winter blues? Post-holiday depression?



My grandmother AhMu used an expression about housework which I find myself saying a lot these days - "Back to the salt mines!" Yeah, that sounds about right.



Saturdays are my one day to play catch-up on the domestic duties, and sooo often, I fall short of accomplishing EVERYTHING I intended to on this day. Today feels like it's going to be another one of those....



So, since I'm indulging myself in a late start to my work this Saturday, I figured I'd do at least one thing that made me feel accomplished and post a TOP 10 list. Today's topic?



TOP 10 Things I'm Daydreaming About on this Saturday Morning






10. A visit to societal London during the Roaring '20s (this has a lot to do with me just finishing watching the last season of Upstairs Downstairs...one of the best BBC series ever...the original version of course). I really want to wear chic dress and long pearl necklaces, bob my hair, and talk about silliness in a perfect, aristocratic British accent. "Oh really, darling, jazz is all the rage nowadays. It's just terribly en vouge!"



9. Hiking some of the more remote parts of Arizona in a pair of old levis, dusty boots, and an old cotton button-up shirt. For some reason, I've recently been entranced by the old, mining/cowbow/frontier history in Arizona, and I want to re-live (or really live) the western adventures that play out in my mind.



8. Eating brioche and croissants in a quaint, Parisian bakery while wearing a Coco Chanel-esque striped shirt and very bright red lipstick. Oh yes, all while being so skinny, that my cigarette pants do not bulge and there are no hints of cankles.



7. Swimming on the beach in Hawaii. What can I say? It's cold (even for Camp Verde) and I am so ready to toast my skin in the sun!



6. Growing a beautiful, hobbit-like garden. Nuff said.



5. Having happy, beautiful, hobbit-like (but perhaps not in height...or feet for that matter) children. Also, nuff said.



4. Flying over central Arizona's montains, valleys, streams, canyons, and paradise-like hidden places...with a broom, wand, and Griffindor-colored scarf.



3. Planning a most needed trip for my mum to visit me.



2. Decorating my house in such a way that perfectly combined all my decorative wanna-be styles: 1920s bungalow, Frank Lloyd Wright, 1960s' retro cool, Tuscan villa, Spanish mission with a courtyard, Zen, and thrift store chic. Will it ever happen? Doubtful.



1. Spending a Saturday in which time is suspended long enough to do everything I want and live out enough of my romaticized day dreams to get through the next week's shift of digging in the salt mines.



--A

3 comments:

Teddy said...

I love this! You'll have to let me know when you're done decorating. I can't wait to see your 1920's bungalow, Frank Lloyd Wright, 60's retro cool, thrifty, Zen, Spanish mission. Sounds way perfect...
Isn't daydreaming so wonderful. It's one of my favorite things to do when I'm driving.

katherine said...

Love your list. Watch Dowton Abbey. The episodes (they've aired) are still on PBS.org it's the modern version of Upstairs Downstairs. I love your list. I need a hobbit garden I've already got the hobbit children ha!

Brooke said...

So I have this plan. Me, You, Bucky, and Lindsey. GIRL'S WEEKEND.

Here's what I told bucky.

"We should plan a weekend getaway. It would rock our socks. Someday right? Between you, me, lindsey and adri we could totally record a totally wicked cooking video. Workout dance routine. Glamor shots. And a music video for fun.

I am g...oing to go make a list of recipes right now.

ps. No smoked oysters. Please and thank you."

You girls and your oysters. Who knows maybe you can convince me they are good on our girly weekend!