
me: "Eye opening moment. Today. Sunday. Febraury 9th, 2009."
you: "Details?"
me: "Short or long?"
you: "You decide."
me: "Okay, how about both?"
I had one of those eye-opening moments today. You know the kind where you tilt your head, raise your brows, and say "Uh-huh!" and then deeply gaze into the invisible abyss in front of you?
Well, that's the moment I had today.
I thought it was worth writing in my journal, and then I realized, "Oooh, wait! I have a blog!" Which, what are blogs for anyways if they can't be used as receptacles (and, might I add showcases) for the most random thoughts and self realizations?
So here's the short version of my "moment":
Rewind life 3 months. New home. New ward. New calling. Primary.
Primary kids outta control. Almost every week.
Leaders are few. Teachers are fewer.
Adults install rules. Good, easy rules with cute pictures.
Kids still outta control.
Fast forward to today.
Primary room. 11:00 a.m. Smiles. Raised arms. Folded arms. Occasional defiance.
Bottom Line? Small Triumph!
Okay, so here is the long version.
For some reason or another, our Primary has been outta control for weeks.
I love our Primary, but wrangling 20-some kids into non-consented reverence isn't exactly my idea of having fun. Mind you, not every child has been outta control (thank goodness) but a good deal of them have. As a the leadership in Primary, we have tried everything to combat the chaos--spiritual lectures, reverence songs, a rule chart, and probably a threat or two (at least I have). But to no avail. The chaos has continued.
Last week was bad. Pretty bad. Imagine kids running around the room. Teasing. Fighting. Juvenile sarcasm (ooohh, I hate it when kids get cheeky! ;) And loads of other non-exemplary behavior. Needless to say, I felt frustrated, clueless, and pitifully sorry for the other leaders and teachers in our Primary.
For fear of being struck by lightening, I have never formally asked the Lord, "Why?!!" But I have wanted too.....
"Why? Why can't I exert some authority....example...or at least bewitchment over these children?"
"Is this my punishment for all the cheeky flack I gave my parents...or is this another one of those 'seemingly never-ending' trials which I must learn a most-valuable life lesson from?"
Well, ladies and gents, I think I can safely say that the Lord wanted me to learn a valuable lesson...or two...or heck, all of them.
Faith. Patience. Love (the sincere kind, you know). More Faith. More Patience. Oh yeah, don't forget Forgiveness too.
While lazily sitting on my couch today after church, I made this realization. I had a moment.
It struck me that had the weeks of chaos never occurred I would never have:
1. Persevered in faith and patience (although I probably didn't recognize myself as doing so)
2. Remained humble (A "whipped" Primary leader is so far from self-conceit, you know)
3. Expressed gratitude for today's near perfect day in Primary.
For all those courageously engaged in the calling of Primary, I salute you today.
For all those in my own Primary (leaders, teachers, and children too), I love you from the bottom of my heart! Please accept my thanks for letting me use our wonderful Primary as dramatic material for my blog.
Viva Primary!
--A
2 comments:
What age do you teach?
I was teaching sunbeams before I had Kerrigan...and trust me I had days were I would EXHAUSTED after church. Personal favorite: being 5 months pregnant and chasing all 8 of my 3 yr olds down the hall (as they ran away from me) and rounding the corner to come face to face with the entire bishopric...doesn't get more humbling than that-especially when it the bishops son is the leader of the pack of kids tearing down the hall : )
Anyways, kudos to you for having such a good attitude on your calling.
Worse than our Primary?! Can it be?! Did you try the #1 Primary guilt song, "It shouldn't be hard to sit very still, and think about Jesus his cross on the hill. . . "? :-) You know that I have NO ideas on Primary reverence!
Thanks for sharing such sweet insights. Can't tell you how much we miss you! You have a real gift for teaching kids and sharing your testimony with them. You're probably going to be in Primary for a very, very long time :-)
Except that you're good with the youth, too- so maybe you'll get to switch off!
Miss you guys! We had a superbowl party at Massey's last Sunday and we all wished you and J were there!
Post a Comment